Connor Timmins & Justine Black
September 5, 2015, Legare Waring House
Self-described geek Connor Timmins didn’t think he had a chance with his high-school hottie crush, Justine Black. “So I helped her with homework by letting her peek at my work,” he says. “Finally the stars aligned and she saw beyond the brains.” Six years later, Connor popped the question and the Hawaii-based pair picked Charleston—where they had lived while he began life as a submarine officer and she got her masters degree—for their fête. And with the help of Engaging Events, eight months later Justine and Connor joined guests at the Legare Waring House, with its intimate side gardens and majestic avenue of oaks, for a late summer wedding. While flowers, food, and dancing ranked high on their favorites lists, sentimentality trumped all. “Being surrounded by friends and family truly made the night so special,” says Justine.
Take After the Timmins ...
• Carry a motif throughout your entire day. Gold dots popped up on the couple’s invitations, plates, menu cards, and cake.
• Practice good penmanship. Hire a calligrapher to tackle day-of signage like chalkboard signs.
• Make a keeper of a hashtag. The pair ordered a sign that read #timmins-partyoftwo, which now decorates their home.
• Work with existing elements. A freestanding arbor in a hidden garden became the focal point of the ceremony.
• Make a music festival of the day. String instruments played for the ceremony; a Dixieland band led guests to the dinner site where classical instruments took over again; and local band Soul Fish entertained late into the night.
TIP: Suit Up
Several groomsmen wore dress whites like the groom, but brought suits for the reception in case the heat was too much for buttoned up.
In October 2015, it was the 1,000-year flood. This year, it was Hurricane Matthew. Bummer for Big Days? We think not. See how this couple—one of many—proves love trumps any storm that rolls into Charleston
Feast your eyes on this treasure chest of jewels ranging from ultra-fine to utterly fashionable. Whether you’re dressing for your wedding or any of the myriad events leading up to it, these pieces add polish—and panache