Connor Timmins & Justine Black
September 5, 2015, Legare Waring House
Self-described geek Connor Timmins didn’t think he had a chance with his high-school hottie crush, Justine Black. “So I helped her with homework by letting her peek at my work,” he says. “Finally the stars aligned and she saw beyond the brains.” Six years later, Connor popped the question and the Hawaii-based pair picked Charleston—where they had lived while he began life as a submarine officer and she got her masters degree—for their fête. And with the help of Engaging Events, eight months later Justine and Connor joined guests at the Legare Waring House, with its intimate side gardens and majestic avenue of oaks, for a late summer wedding. While flowers, food, and dancing ranked high on their favorites lists, sentimentality trumped all. “Being surrounded by friends and family truly made the night so special,” says Justine.
Take After the Timmins ...
• Carry a motif throughout your entire day. Gold dots popped up on the couple’s invitations, plates, menu cards, and cake.
• Practice good penmanship. Hire a calligrapher to tackle day-of signage like chalkboard signs.
• Make a keeper of a hashtag. The pair ordered a sign that read #timmins-partyoftwo, which now decorates their home.
• Work with existing elements. A freestanding arbor in a hidden garden became the focal point of the ceremony.
• Make a music festival of the day. String instruments played for the ceremony; a Dixieland band led guests to the dinner site where classical instruments took over again; and local band Soul Fish entertained late into the night.
TIP: Suit Up
Several groomsmen wore dress whites like the groom, but brought suits for the reception in case the heat was too much for buttoned up.
We asked the Lowcountry’s top hair and makeup professionals what products they carry in their bag of tricks that can withstand the heat and humidity. For a gorgeous glow and polished locks, check out their top picks. Bonus? The majority of the products are Charleston brands with enthusiastic national followings. Stock up with these tried-and-true besties and you've got your own glam squad
Charleston is one of the country’s top-tier cities for so-called destination weddings, and any couple getting married here should expect far-flung guests to RSVP an enthusiastic “Yes” to their celebration, especially when this old-school boarding pass, designed by Studio R, debuts your wedding details in high flying style.