May 26, 2017 / Carriage House at Magnolia Plantation & Gardens
When Brittney and Alex met, “they” as an item seemed improbable given he lived in Washington D.C. and she lived in Santa Monica, California. Yet, six years and 26 cross-country trips later, there was Alex dropping to one knee up in Las Vegas at the Bellagio fountains rippling behind him and Brittney. For their nuptials, the bride-to-be wanted to head down South and College of Charleston grad Alex was only too happy to oblige. They chose Magnolia Plantation & Gardens and the bride-to-be set about making it their own with help from Pure Luxe Bride. Before either of them knew it, the Big Day arrived and attendees were signing in on a globe, as an ode to their long-distance relationship and, “to remind us of our journey and the loved ones who supported us along the way,” Brittney says. After the ceremony, everyone whiled away the evening dining, drinking craft suds from Low Tide Brewing (owned by one of Alex’s groomsmen), playing cornhole, and trying their hands in the chipping area (courtesy of golf fanatic Alex). Says Brittney, “It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime event.”
• Reduce and reuse. Agate slices leftover from one of the bride’s interior design projects were repurposed into place cards-slash-favors.
• Add patterned pillows to make rustic seating more inviting. Mix colors and shapes to maintain the casual vibe.
• For a spin on a menu display, source vintage cutting boards and have your calligrapher do the honors.
• Before any al fresco summer wedding, spray the site, especially those by the water, for insects. If you are renting a venue, ask about their mosquito management plan.
• Try a pre-honeymoon. Brittney and Alex flew to Charleston a week early to finalize plans, golf, get massages, and catch up with early bird friends.
We asked the Lowcountry’s top hair and makeup professionals what products they carry in their bag of tricks that can withstand the heat and humidity. For a gorgeous glow and polished locks, check out their top picks. Bonus? The majority of the products are Charleston brands with enthusiastic national followings. Stock up with these tried-and-true besties and you've got your own glam squad