Mandy & Chas Welch
September 25, 2014
William Aiken House
On their honeymoon, Mandy and Chas Welch watched a couple wed outside and pledged that a decade later they would renew their vows. The years passed with moves (including a two-year stint in the Holy City) and the addition of their children, Cate and Charlie. “As the anniversary approached,” says Nashville, Tennessee, resident Mandy, “we knew the ceremony had to be in Charleston.” Why? It’s where Chas proposed, where they vacation, and where they hope to live again. When the day came, the younger Welches escorted Mom down the aisle where she and Dad recommitted before 25 family and dear friends. “The first time we said our vows, we were so young,” says Mandy. “Now we truly understand what we promised each other.”
Advice from the been there, done that couple
• Treat yourself to a hotel instead of a second honeymoon. The night of their vow renewal, the couple stayed at the carriage house at the William Aiken House.
• Work family into the ceremony. “Cate was so excited that we were going to be princesses together,” says Mandy.
• Have a dear friend “officiate” your renewal; it’s not a legal ceremony, anyone can do it. (The "bride" grew up with Charleston planner Kristin Newman, who did their wedding. Kristin's husband, Chris, presided over the renewal.)
• Choose a non-traditional wedding gown. Mandy opted for a silk slip dress by Jenny Packham.
• Give a nod to your wedding day. The couple loved their buttercream wedding cake, so much so they had Patrick Properties Hospitality Group pastry chef Jessica Grossman create a similar one for their vow renewal.
• Make the most of having everyone together and dressed up with a photo shoot. Prior to the ceremony, the family gathered for a portrait session with Marni Rothschild Pictures.
Event design and coordination, florals, décor: Gathering Floral + Event Design, www.GatheringEvents.com
Location: William Aiken House, www.PPHGCharleston.com/Venues/View/William_Aiken_House
Photography: Marni Rothschild Pictures, www.MarniPictures.com
Chiavari chairs, tables, china, linens: Snyder Events, www.SnyderEvents.com
Catering, bar service, cake: Patrick Properties Hospitality Group, www.PPHGCharleston.com
Stationery, signage: Rock Paper Scissors, www.RockPaperScissor.com
Calligraphy: Elizabeth Porcher Jones, www.ElizabethPorcherJones.com
Bride’s gown: Jenny Packham from White on Daniel Island, www.WhiteOnDI.com
Menswear: Jos. A. Bank, www.JosBank.com
Hair, makeup: Vanity Salon, www.VanitySalonSC.com
Children’s attire: (girl) Anvy Kids; (boy) Peppermint Pony, www.Pep-Pony.com
Music: Jaykob Kendrick, OtherBrother Entertainment, www.OtherBrotherEnt.com
Officiating: Chris Newman, Classic Charleston Officiant, www.Facebook.com/ChristopherNewmanClassicOfficiant