Courtney Lawson & Jared Rush
October 11, 2014
Boone Hall Plantation and Cotton Dock
“We wanted guests to feel like the venue alone was worth the trip,” says Chicago resident Courtney Lawson of her destination wedding to Jared Rush. Since every last attendee would be traveling for their Big Day, that was a tall order. But when the couple saw Boone Hall Plantation’s avenue of oaks and sun-bleached Cotton Dock, they knew they had hit gold. Working with Megan Chandler of Ooh! Events, Courtney put in a request for X-back chairs, mirrors, and strands of market bulbs, then let the planners take over. The crew draped fabric over the rafters, hung lanterns, and set the space abloom. “We were blown away when we walked into the reception,” says the bride. By night’s end, as the revelers were launching fire lanterns, Courtney remarked to Megan, “It really is over in a minute, isn’t it?”
Top Tips Take It from the Rushes ...
• Make a rough guest list before you look at venues so you know what capacity you require.
• Give a roundup of must-have shots to your photographer and appoint someone to help them discern who’s who.
• If planning agitates you, step away till you calm down. Friends and family are there to help, not to bear your angst.
• Choose your wedding party based on who will be in your life for decades.
• Share the love! Surprise your parents with hand-written thank-you notes on the Big Day.
We asked the Lowcountry’s top hair and makeup professionals what products they carry in their bag of tricks that can withstand the heat and humidity. For a gorgeous glow and polished locks, check out their top picks. Bonus? The majority of the products are Charleston brands with enthusiastic national followings. Stock up with these tried-and-true besties and you've got your own glam squad