Kristin Barcak & Leif Dormsjo
April 25, 2015
Their wedding website opened with a photo of ’80s icons Axl Rose and Stephanie Seymour, while its attire page suggested “clothed” for the farewell brunch. So consider it a given that Kristin and Leif’s nuptials were as quirky as the D.C. residents. Kristin says the two chose the Holy City to exchange vows because it’s where they fell for each other. “We love the city and wanted to share this beautiful, vibrant, magical place with our guests.” Those adjectives suited their wedding, too. With birdbaths and birdcages as floral vessels, naked cakes, and a gnome figure popping up here and there at the reception, Loluma had a blast pulling things together. “Kristin was up for whatever off-the-wall ideas we sent,” says planner Sha Sha Harnik. Sounds like another match made to be.
Ideas to Inspire
• To thine own self be true. The non-icing loving couple opted for naked cakes (each table scored their own) while Kristin surprised Leif with his favorite dessert: pie.
• Reimagine furnishings. A coffee table from the Loluma office turned into a chandelier with glass spheres after bride Kristin admired it.
• Trade matching gowns for coordinating ones. The maid of honor picked her gown then made sure the bridesmaids’ frocks were streamlined to it.
• Embrace tradition. Leif’s family is Swedish, so a stuffed gnome (considered good luck) popped up throughout the night.
“Guests still talk about it,”
the bride says.
• Read up. Kristin penned a newsletter about the couple for guests to laugh over
during their 30-minute ride
to the reception.
• Take a seat. Bride and groom chair markers at each table allowed the couple to rotate with each course.
Design, florals: Loluma, www.Loluma.com
Photography: McKay Photography; King Street Studios, www.TheCharlestonPhotographer.com (cakes, tabletop florals)
Venue: Runnymede Plantation, www.EventsatRunnymede.com
Rentals: Snyder Event Rentals, www.SynderEvents.com (rentals, flooring, lounge); Polished, www.PolishedTabletop.com (plates, water dispensers, cake knives, water goblets); EventHaus, www.EventHausRentals.com (mugs)
Linens: Nuage Designs, www.NuageDesigns.com
Catering: Relish Catering, www.RelishDistinctiveCatering.com
Cakes: Whole Foods, www.WholeFoodsMarket.com
Bar Service: Spike by Snyder, www.SnyderEvents.com
Hair, makeup: Stuart Laurence Salon, www.StuartLaurenceSalon.com
Bride’s attire: Claire Pettibone, www.ClairePettibone.com (gown and hair accessories); Prada, www.Prada.com (shoes)
Bridesmaids’ attire: Erin Fetherson, www.ErinFetherson.com; Halston Heritage, www.Halston.com; Aiden Mattox
Groom’s attire: Christopher Schafer Clothier, www.ChristopherSchafer.com (suit and tie); Peter Millar, www.PeterMillar.com (pocket square); Jack Erwin, www.JackErwin.com (shoes)
Photobooth: Charleston Party Booth, www.facebook.com
Transportation, getaway vehicle: Lowcountry Valet & Shuttle Co., www.LowcountryValet.com
Officiant: Mac Hammett, www.HammettCounseling.com
Music: Uncle Funkle, www.ChrisDodsonMusic.com
Golf cart: Lightening Bugz, www.LightningBugzRentals.com
Restrooms: Nature’s Calling, www.NaturesCallingInc.com